On January 7, 2014 TigerDirect.com, a subsidiary of Systemax, and title sponsor Lenovo hosted the 16th annual “Build Your Own PC Race” for charity at the Wynn Resort Las Vegas during the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show.
TigerDirect held two separate PC Builds during the event: The traditional “Charity PC Race” for journalists and the 2nd Annual “Consumer National Finals.” Contestants for the two races were tasked with assembling PCs in the fastest time.
Benjamin Heide of BCCHardware.com beat out his competitors in the Charity PC Race with a time of 6 minutes 13 seconds. On his behalf, TigerDirect will donate $10,000 and a complete hardware package to Alberta Childrens Hospital.
Damian Muzzi of Delaware was the winner of the National Consumer Finals with a time of 6:31. On his behalf, TigerDirect will donate $1,000 to his charity of choice, the Delaware SPCA.
Additionally, over $40,000 in PCs and related hardware used during the year-long Regional PC Races are headed to Raleigh, North Carolina to be refurbished by the Kramden Institute for distribution to students without a home computer. Including this donation, over $75,000 in cash and hardware will be distributed from this event, all made possible through sponsorships from the top names in technology, including: AMD, C2G, Coolermaster, Corsair, Cyberpower PC, GearHead, Hanspree, HP, Ingram Micro, Intel, Kingston, title sponsor Lenovo, Logitech, Microsoft, MSI, PayPal, Seagate, Solaxx, Square Trade, Targus, Total Defense, Trendnet and XFX.
Attendees also enjoyed a complimentary 5-star buffet and hand crafted cocktails as they cheered on their favorite racers from the sidelines while posting to social media using hashtag #tigerdirectpcrace and #charitypcrace.Final Results of the 16th Annual Charity PC Race:
- First Place: Benjamin Heide of BCC Hardware: $10,000 donated to Alberta Childrens Hospital.
- Second Place: Anshel Sag of Bright Side of News: $2,500 donated to Wounded Warrior
- Third Place: Rob Squires of Fudzilla: $1,000 donated to Mendenhall Middle School.
*the completed Lenovo PC and associated hardware package all the 15 racers will be sent to each participant’s charity of choiceFinal Results for 2nd Annual Consumer National Finals:
- First Place: Damian Muzzi of Christiana, DE: $1,000 donated to Delaware SPCA and a $1,000 TigerDirect gift card for the racer
- Second Place: Andrew Synder of Raleigh, NC: $500 donated to Wounded Warrior and a $500 TigerDirect gift card for the racer
- Third Place: Thomas Arvizu of Jefferson, GA: $250 donated to Wounded Warrior and a $250 TigerDirect gift card for the racer
*the custom gaming PC, assembled by sponsor Cyberpower PC, and associated hardware get to be retained by each racer.